Research to Support FMCSA Implementation of Beyond Compliance Process and Program (FAST Act, Section 5222)
- Incorporating a methodology into the Compliance, Safety, Accountability (CSA) program or the Behavior Analysis and Safety Improvement Categories of the SMS.
- Developing a process for identifying elements of technology and safety programs as a basis for recognition.
- Seeking input from stakeholders.
- Considering a monitoring program.
- Disseminating information on the Beyond Compliance program.
- Conduct a literature review.
- Assess the effectiveness of safety management practices used by a diverse group of high-performing motor carriers; develop a framework of carrier best practices.
- Identify the most effective performance measures and appropriate metrics for determining programs and technologies appropriate for the Beyond Compliance program.
- Develop recommendations on how FMCSA can initiate and build a Beyond Compliance program that ensures progressive growth while minimizing Agency resources.
- Provide FMCSA with recommendations for methods of monitoring the program and estimated costs for operating such a program.
December 2015: FAST Act signed into law
May 2017: Phase I research awarded
August 2017: Literature review completed
November 2017: Study design finalized
April 2018: ICR process begun
July 2019: Phase II research awarded
October 2019: ICR approved by OMB
April 2020: Data collection completed
May 2020: Peer review of findings
July 2020: Draft report received
January 2021: Report sent to Congress